Canadian Visa Consultation & Career Development

Canada Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA)

Here is how you can travel to Canada within 72 hours with Canada eTA

It seems almost impossible to travel to Canada within 72 hours. It is more commonly known to plan for your immigration to Canada months before traveling. The available Visa programs such as the Federal Skilled Worker Program, Student Visa, Provincial Nominee Programs, and the Business & Investor Visas take months before approval, so these are not the preferred alternatives.

Canada immigration has devised a way to travel to Canada within 72 hours without applying for any of the available visa programs that may take months or years if your visa even gets chosen at all. This is the Electronic Travel Authorization to Canada (eTA).

What is the eTA?

The Electronic Travel Authorization to Canada (eTA) is specially created for visa-exempt foreign nationals traveling to Canada by air. The eTA is an entry requirement linked electronically to a traveler’s passport.

This travel authorization is only valid for up to five years or until your passport expires. If you have to get a new passport, you need to get a new eTA.

Who can apply?

Though the eTA is granted to visa-exempt foreign nationals traveling by air, it does not automatically guarantee entry into the country. A border services officer will request your passport and other identifying documents to show your eligibility on arrival.

Travelers who can apply for the eTA include;

  • Visa-exempt foreign nationals who want to fly to Canada or move through a Canadian These travelers do not need an eTA when arriving by car, bus, train, or boat.
  • Lawful permanent residents of the U.S. who want to fly to or move through a Canadian airport. These travelers must show a valid Green Card and a valid passport at check-in.
  • Citizens from select visa-required countries may be eligible to apply for an eTA to travel to Canada by air instead of a visa. These travelers will need a  visitor visa when arriving on other forms of transportation, as detailed above.

Nationals of the following countries can apply for an eTA to Canada

In addition, citizens of the British overseas territories who have acquired their nationalities by birth, naturalization, or registering in one of these territories are also eligible to apply for the eTA: 

  • Anguilla
  • Bermuda
  • British Virgin Islands
  • Cayman Islands
  • Falkland Islands (Malvinas)
  • Gibraltar
  • Montserrat
  • Pitcairn Island
  • Saint Helena
  • Turks and Caicos Islands

* Additional Requirements

Brazilian citizens are also eligible to apply for an eTA, as long as they meet one of the following requirements:

  • Holding a US Green Card (Permanent Residency in the USA).
  • Have visited Canada during the past 10 years.
  • Holding a valid non-immigrant visa to the United States of America.

If you meet one of the requirements below, you are eligible to apply online for an eTA to Canada:

  • If you hold a US Green (Permanent residence permit issued by the United States of America).
  • If you have a passport or a traveling document from the Vatican.
  • If you have an Israeli Passport.
  • You hold a passport issued by the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region of the People’s Republic of China (Hong Kong SAR).
  • You hold an electronic passport issued by Romania. If you have a regular Romanian passport or a temporary one given in Romania, you will be required to issue a visa to Canada in the closest Canadian Embassy.
  • If you hold a passport issued by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Taiwan, in which the personal identification number can be found. If you hold any other type of passport, you will be required to obtain a regular visa to Canada from the closest Canadian embassy.
  • If you hold a passport issued by the United Kingdom or with the nationality of British National (Overseas) inclosed in it. 
  • You hold a United Kingdom passport with the nationality of British Subject inclosed in it as long as you have the right of abode.

How can it be extended?

Canada does not currently offer an extension service for passports that expire before the eTAs or eTAs that expire before passports. In both cases, it is advised that the expired document be renewed.

If the passport expires before the eTA, you need to renew both the passport and the eTA since they are linked together.

Note that your eTA lets you visit Canada for up to six months or until the date the border services put on your passport.

If you need to stay longer in Canada, you must apply to extend your stay. For more information about eTA extension, make sure you ask our immigration and visa consultant at CISdesk.

Tags: Electronic Travel Authorization to Canada | Canada eTA  eTA Extension | Immigration to Canada

Related Articles

Canada Working Holiday Visa

The full guide on how to

Imagine you are now working in Canada, earning double or triple what you make now in your own country, and living the dream. Canada’s Working Holiday Visa is your gateway to a two-year adventure in the...

Read More

Canada Business and Investor Visa

Are you a business owner who is thinking of expanding your business and investments outside your country? As a business owner or an investor, you are always aware of the possibilities outside your country of...

Read More

Working Holiday Visa

Looking to spend your holiday outside your country? Have you always wanted to travel to other countries to visit but have a full-time job and only get vacation days? Are you conscious about your funds...

Read More
Premium WordPress Themes Download
Download WordPress Themes
Premium WordPress Themes Download
Download Best WordPress Themes Free Download
free online course
download coolpad firmware
Premium WordPress Themes Download